We know the loss of a loved one is a difficult time in many ways. In order to help you through the funeral planning process, we have created a list of decisions that need to be made before, during and after the funeral. We will do all we can to assist you in this process and make it easier on you. Many families find it beneficial to make some of these decisions ahead of time.
- Notify family, friends and the funeral home.
- Determine type of service, burial or cremation.
- Location, date, time and agenda of the viewing/visitation, funeral/memorial service and burial.
Begin to gather and verify biographical information of the deceased, which includes:
- Date and place of birth.
- Education level and occupation.
- Social security number.
- Parents' full names and maiden names.
- Names of survivors.
- Volunteer organizations and hobbies.
- Obituary photo.
- Military information (DD-214).
- Life insurance policies.
- Choice of clothing (undergarments, shoes, jewelry).
Notify employer, co-workers, volunteer, church, union, and fraternal organizations.
The funeral home will contact and make the arrangements with the church, clergy, cemetery/memorial location, newspapers, florists, insurance companies (if proceeds are to be assigned), physician (for the death certificate).
Determine the funding of the funeral services such as professional services, casket & vault.
Consider other funeral related expenses like death certificates, cemetery plots and marker, and clergy and musicians.
- open or closed casket
- casket or urn and keepsake selection
- cemetery or memorial location
- cemetery plot, vault or mausoleum
- type of ceremony (religious, fraternal, secular or other)
- clergy involvement
- eulogy deliverers
- special readings, biblical passages
- pictures and other memorabilia
- Tribute video
- charity to receive memorial gifts
- register book
- memorial folders/prayer cards
- acknowledgement cards
In the days following the funeral:
- Contact attorney re: probate of will and estate
- Bank Accounts
- Financial advisors
- Home/Automobile/Life Insurance companies
- Social Security Administrations
- Utility companies
- Credit Card companies